Castelnuovo Berardenga

ITALY - TUSCANY
The area took its name from the family of the noble Berardo, of Frankish lineage, who lived in the second half of the 10th and the beginning of the 12th century. The expression "Terra Berardenga" appeared for the first time in the mid-11th century, while Berardenga had already established itself in the geographical meaning which was maintained thereafter. At the beginning of the fourteenth century, Berardenga, due to its strategic importance, became the seat of a vicariate and, in 1366, the General Council of Siena decided on the construction of a new castle in the center of the area, giving the birth to Castelnuovo Berardenga, a "new land" which did not reach the development expected. The area of Castelnuovo Berardenga, due to its proximity to Siena, presents a more anthropized landscape compared to the internal Chianti and there are many evidencies of the past, with medieval or Renaissance-derived characteristics, as in the villas or in many farmhouses. There are numerous castles, several of which faced the Florentine defensive line, such as those of Quercegrossa, Aiola, Selvole, Pieveasciata, Cerreto, Sesta and Cetramura both in ruins, and San Gusmé, which developed into a village until it became one of the most consistent together with Vagliagli.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram